Thursday 6 September 2012

GUTGAA: Critique partners and BETAs


Hey guys, if you're here for the meet and greet part - firstly, thank you! and secondly, it's the next post down.

So in spirit of the critique partner day, I'm going to post a little something out of my current WIP so anyone stopping by can scope out my stuff and work out if it's something they'd be willing to dedicate a lot of time and energy to.

I totally appreciate if it's not your taste but if it is, and you're keen to team up, let me know! Also, anyone and everyone can feel free to tear this to shreds. I'm way used to it by now and it actually helps a lot.

So here is a short (completely random) snippet from ILLUSION OF A MAJESTY.



 My eyes flew open as I shot up in bed but instead of the scream I expected, chokes strangled my throat. Water flew across my bed and my lungs burnt while my whole body heaved up what felt like the Pacific Ocean. My head grew tight as I gasped down air and the hands I pushed to my forehead were shaking.

 My breaths were short and ragged and if I didn’t know any better, I could have sworn I almost drowned. But for that to have happened…

 I threw my legs over the side of the bed and began pacing. I couldn’t stop running my hands through my hair until it got so knotted I had to untangle myself. But there was no untangling my twisted insides, because my dream… I’d seen it before. I just had no idea where.

 I took another great shuddering breath and swiped at the tears on my face. The clock on my desk told me it was already seven in the morning but the sky outside was still dark and the clouds that hugged the distant mountaintops threatened rain.

 I dragged my hand through my hair again but this time a sharp pain shot through my thumb. I jerked my hand back, slapped on the light and inspected the long, clean cut. Just like a razor. I quickly checked my arms and legs but that seemed to be the only one there. I looked from it, to the wet splotches on my bed and felt my whole body cool with fear. What was happening to me?



 It's pretty much the moment Jenna realises she's joined la-la land. Not really sure why I chose this part but it's what I opened first, so I'm just going to roll with it. Admittedly, it doesn't really give the best sense of what my book's about but that's pretty much the writing style. 

 Hope you enjoyed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

THANK YOU for commenting! It means more than you know :)